Previous Entry | Next Entry

branewurms: (Mushishi - what)
So I have finally watched the Revolutionary Girl Utena TV series. I know, I know, wth, get with the times, etc. But anyway, I loved it! (Well DUH, I hear you saying, isn't this the sort of thing you generally lap up? Okay, so it is. I don't know what made me put it off for so long; maybe it was just the retro-shoujo art style.)

It was totally brilliant and I loved all of the surreal imagery, the commentary on the whole whore/Madonna complex in media, the subversion of female character stereotypes and fairy tale tropes and shoujo genre tropes (and the deliberate comical parodying of shoujo fanservice, omg, it killed me) and so on. I adored how complex all the characters were - especially Anthy, omg that girl was terrifying, I mean TERRIFYING, and I loved her and all of her subtle expressions and inflections and EVERYTHING to death. (Her facial expressions! Oh, they gave me chills. There were several times I gasped out loud at her changes of expression.)

Kind of wondering whether we are supposed to assume Touga and Saionji were banging. Pretty sure we're supposed to assume Touga and Akio were banging. Maybe we're supposed to assume they were all banging? Idek. The line between metaphorical implications and literal reality is never very clear in this show. But considering that Akio bangs anything that moves it is probably fairly safe to just go with "they were all banging," which I would kind of like to do because it is hilarious and also sort of embarrassingly hot.

The ending? Uh. Srsly bizarre and confusing and I only have a vague grasp on what all happened, though it was mostly satisfying; I mean, y'all know me, I love me some Weird Shit(tm), and I have seen and loved much weirder.

...And then I watched the movie.

...

......

Okay, you guys, I have seen a lot of Weird Shit(tm) in my life. But I don't think I've ever had to ask myself, "Did I seriously just sit here and watch somebody turn into a car? Did I just watch a random carwash pop up out of nowhere, suck somebody in and turn them into a car?"

I just.

What?

What?

What the hell did I just watch? No really. Nothing made any sense in this movie. Nothing.

On the upside, it was pretty? And that "let's draw Utena naked!" scene was pretty hot? And gives us a serious relationship text upgrade, since you don't get much more textual than naked kissing. But really, you guys, City of Lost Children is one of my favorite films, and yet the only explanation I have for the Adolescence of Utena movie is "deranged fever dream". I just don't even know.

Not that I wouldn't recommend watching it. Just. After the TV series. After.

Comments

spindizzy: (Be happy!)
[personal profile] spindizzy wrote:
Mar. 3rd, 2010 02:14 pm (UTC)
THINGS I HAVE LEARNT FROM TV TROPES: Aparently, the artist of the manga series had worked on something with the writer of the series before where he had a lot of Scenes With Implications with the main characters, and asked him if they could NOT DO THAT AGAIN PLEASE. So he went and wrote a Scene With IMPLICATIONS for EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE PERMUTATION OF CHARACTERS EVER. And didn't tell her. Just gave her enough details to draw it, not enough to catch on!
branewurms: (Default)
[personal profile] branewurms wrote:
Mar. 3rd, 2010 02:27 pm (UTC)
So basically he is a evil bastard? XD; I was beginning to suspect that already from the limited TV tropes surfing I have done myself and the mentions that he's famous for doing the shrug of god.
stormy: βͺ ππŽπ“πˆπ‚π„ ❫ 𝑫𝑢 𝑡𝑢𝑻 𝑻𝑨𝑲𝑬 𝑴𝒀 𝑰π‘ͺ𝑢𝑡𝑺 ⊘ ([ s:nabari ] don't try to explain)
[personal profile] stormy wrote:
Mar. 3rd, 2010 03:06 pm (UTC)
I remember when the Utena movie came out... I remember seeing something with the authors and artists and him basically going, "I just thought it'd be cool."

... lol.

Yes, the car parts are infinitely the weirdest shit I've ever had to watch after something semi-normal. This is why anime movies after a television series are in their own category of crazy.
karayan: Shounen Onmyouji: Masahiro (<-- this is my life.)
[personal profile] karayan wrote:
Mar. 3rd, 2010 04:17 pm (UTC)
Actually, the car part is probably the easiest piece of symbolism to explain in that movie. For me, at least.
branewurms: (Default)
[personal profile] branewurms wrote:
Mar. 3rd, 2010 10:37 pm (UTC)
Well, sure, the symbolism is easy to explain, I mean "o hay I am your vehicle, use me to escape!" But I don't think I have ever seen symbolism quite that literal or brain breaking in my life. It may be the easiest part to understand but it is still by far the craziest. @____@a
karayan: Suikoden III ([Hikusaak goes here.])
[personal profile] karayan wrote:
Mar. 3rd, 2010 11:13 pm (UTC)
OBJECTION: CHUCHU CAMEO
branewurms: (Default)
[personal profile] branewurms wrote:
Mar. 4th, 2010 04:55 am (UTC)
...touche
eisen: Utena (in flowers). (do the whirlwind.)
[personal profile] eisen wrote:
Mar. 3rd, 2010 10:20 pm (UTC)
... I think I'm the only person on my flist who sat through the Utena movie and felt it was a perfectly coherent distillation of all the symbolism and thematic concerns of the series, albeit (understandably) a much flatter restatement of same, and therefore missing much of the ambiguity that made the series so wonderful.

It was everything the series did taken to eleven, an explosion of subtext layered in metatext layered in metametatext until it became some glorious kind of supertext in its blatancy, the metaphors coming on so strong they blasted away all the subtlety and outright became the meaning behind the ideas they were meant to convey.

It is a symbol, endlessly referring to itself.

(Fair cop: the Utena series has one of my all time favorite endings in the history of series finales, precisely because it ratchets up the emotional and structural tension to such a fever pitch and then lets loose with the most brilliant, unexpected resolution that I have ever seen, most especially because it's utterly, perfectly in character for everyone, and it's the moment everything has been building towards, it's the summation of the series' constant recursion on its titular theme of "revolution", it is everything I love about animation because that kind of structural play is not possible in any other medium and I am not sorry to make that claim because it's true. And the movie just kind of goes "... yeah let's take that even further" and it makes me squeak, even if it can't have nearly the depth of field the series did because it's so short.)
branewurms: (Default)
[personal profile] branewurms wrote:
Mar. 4th, 2010 06:17 am (UTC)
Well, it's not like I disagree with you on it being a distillation of the symbolism of the series etc., but. but. ;laksdjf;lakj my brain leaked out my ears watching this movie, srsly.

I did really like the ending to the series, confusion and all, but it left me with a burning desire to know if Anthy will ever find Utena and if so what will happen then. (I know it's almost irrelevant in context of what the series was trying to do, but I, I want them to be together. ;;)

Profile

branewurms: (Default)
[personal profile] branewurms
SERIOUS FEMININE DERANGEMENT

limβ‹…iβ‹…nal hoβ‹…riβ‹…zon

–noun
a place only seen through a green door.

Latest Month

May 2012
S M T W T F S
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios
Designed by [personal profile] chasethestars